GenCon 50 starts today. If you are there, run, don’t walk over to the Chaosium booth and pick up a copy of the RuneQuest Preview edition, which is the main rule book without art.
While I won’t be there since I’ll be chilling out at D101 HQ on the other side of the pond, I’ve been very privileged to receive a copy for review purposes from Chaosium ( like I did for HQ Glorantha) which I shall do shortly once I wade through all 400 pages!
The short version
- It’s RQ2 on steroids! Like Jeff Richard has been promising in his design blog posts, it’s based on RQ2 which extras, like Sorcery, built on top and integrated.
- The main rule book is comparable to the Pathfinder Core Book, ie. its got all the rules for the players/gm. But no GMs advice, deep setting info and Monsters, those are going to be separate books that follow on from the core.
- Glorantha is baked in at every step and like the HeroQuest Glorantha book, it gives enough to robustly play in the setting.
- It’s extremely clear and well written, despite being a beast of a book. Even in its no-art form.
- Damnit I want to play this!
The long version…coming soon once I digest the beast 🙂